Little-Ditty...Growin' up N da HeartLand

This summer I caught a repeat of the 1st concert I ever went to way back when. Same venue. Same show. Only this time there were fewer mullets and I was on my own 26 year old feet, while the first time I was up on my dad’s shoulders, too short to see the stage above the crowd. Back then I was probably one of the youngest at the show, mere age of 6 maybe 7. Here it is, 2008, in the same place I was almost 20 years prior, singing the same songs in synch with the singer, potentially holding some sentimental value for me, being the Hoosier that I am. His home was my home for 5 years. We passed each other in the streets, he played a free concert the very first week of my college days, we probably cheered together in Assembly Hall.

So there we were, dancing to my childhood songs with my rocking grandma, singing with my mom just as I did in that same place years ago. It was quite a time. And although I was not born in a SmallTown, and I do not live in a SmallTown… "I cannot forget from where it is that I come from, I cannot forget the people who love me"

It was a great time, with a great group. From family to friends to the boy that now knows the ‘Cougar’ I spoke of…as he watched the crazy women in my family singing every word and jumping around to the beats. And yet again, I’m soon off to another show, another venue, another band. "Ah, but ain't that America, for you and me?" Summer concert season is in the midst of winding down, but I think we’ve done allright for ourselves thus far….

Days turn to minutes
And minutes to memories
Life sweeps away the dreams that we have planned
You are young
And YOU ARE THE FUTURE
So suck it up and tough it out
And be the best you can